Monday, August 31, 2009

Thoughts on Eat Real

Well, I went to Eat Real yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed myself.  Out of all the foods I tried, there were only two disappointments, and coincidentally, they were the two things I was most excited about trying.  So much for unrealistic expectations.
The crowds were great and very into what was being presented, which was wonderful to see.  So many times, when an event is held in Oakland, there's something "off" about it, but that curse was suspended for this event.
First dishes tried and I must say most disappointing were the Seoul On Wheels Korean Tacos.  The overwhelming flavor was the corn tortilla, which told me that the ingredients were bland!!!  Not something you'd want to have in Korean cooking.  There was a big line most of the day at the Seoul on Wheels truck so perhaps I just got a bad batch or something.  I wanted to really like it!
Next dishes we tried were Lobster Rolls and Clam Chowder from Sam's Chowder Truck.  Both were excellent.  My daughter particularly liked the Chowder.  We then tried barbeque from Shuga Catering Company.  The ribs were fall off the bone tasty and the potato salad and collard greens were tasty too!!!  We then tried the Creme Brulee Cart which my daughter liked more than I did.  I thought the brulee was too light and the crust too thin.  We also had pork from the Chop Shop which was juicy and tasty, served with two sauces!!  We then went to Joe's Street Eats and had two winning dishes, their BLAT roll which was very good and their corn on the cob which is slatered with lime aioli, chili flakes and parmesano reggiano.  The combination works great and was a real winning dish for the Thompson's.  The last dish we tried were the home made S'mores which were just ok, cold and the cookies tasted store bought.  This was the other dish I was so excited to have and was disappointing.
There was so much food that we didn't try, one because we were full but also because I was blowing out my diet and I had to be careful to not go too crazy.
In the new Market Hall, there were alot of interesting food purveyors, making pickles, and other unique products.  
All in all it was a fabulous day and fabulous experience.  Kudos to the organizers of the event.

Peace,

No comments:

Post a Comment