Friday, April 24, 2009

Learning to cook

I finally took my first cooking class yesterday, a class on French Sauces at a great place called Kitchen on Fire in Berkeley. This is something I've been wanting to do for years and for various reasons, was not able to make it happen. Well I got to go to a class last night and what a fantastic time I had. I learned so much, most of it hands on. The chef, Chef Olive from Cesar restaurant was interesting, super knowledgeable, fun and helpful. After explaining basics to us about the interaction of fats, starch, oils, proteins and acids, we got into making our own sauces. Some of the people I was working with, while earnest, had no idea what to do nor were they good at following directions, so chef had to come over and take care of some of the sauces they were creating and make them "edible". I'm proud to say that they things I was involved in all came out really good and I can't wait to make them at home. The class gave me a whole new take on how to cook food and enhance flavor. I hope my kids and family will enjoy the added flavors and skills I will bring to my meals I prepare.
Highly recommended you check these guys out, it's very reasonable and lots of fun.

Peace,

No comments:

Post a Comment