Friday, February 6, 2009

Stimulus and Cowardice

So the stimulus is going to pass and there's been a trimming of the package to 790B with some other "conditions" to wait and see on about 10 to 20 percent of the money. It's amazing to me how absolutely tone deaf both parties have been on this issue for different reasons. The Republican Party has been the party of "no" on this issue and has offered tired old solutions that have been discredited by the current crisis we are in. The Democrats, some of whom in the Senate, are acting like they are in the race of their lives with a strong Republican candidate, are being gun shy. Republicans understand power, and they use it. Fascists are that way. For some reason, more liberal folks have a problem. My theory is that many of these so called centrist Democrats and Republicans are really Corporatists at heart and they want to help the Corporation and not the People.
When Paul Krugman and Joseph Stiglitz are both saying that this Stimulus Package is not anywhere near enough money, you know something is up. When the "discredited" economists and politicians are saying it's too much money, you know Krugman and Stiglitz are right! I sure hope to god the approval of this package has an immediate "psychological" impact on the markets so credit will be freed up. My gut tells me no.
I sure hope that the Dems push Harry Reid out the door. He's too timid, too corporatist and too afraid to make some big steps. He's a procedure guy, which can be good sometimes, but he can't see the forest for the trees sometimes and frankly, I've never felt he was a powerful leader. That is what is needed right now. President Obama is forceful in his presentation and implementation of his programs and he needs a real go getter in the Senate to push his programs thru. Harry Reid is not that man. Maybe he'll surprise me, but again, my gut tells me no.
Here's wishing you a wonderful Saturday.
Peace,

No comments:

Post a Comment